Right now, I’m stuck on my ship waiting to transit the Strait of Hormuz and honestly, Telugu cinema is one of the things helping me keep my sanity intact. 😄
Obssessed with Sankranthiki Vasthunam.
For me, movies are primarily about entertainment.I don't go to a theatre expecting a serious social lecture or something that will make me feel depressed after a hard day of work.I watch movies because I want to forget everything for two or three hours,relax,laugh,enjoy some action,listen to good music and come out of the theatre feeling refreshed.
And in that sense, I personally feel Telugu cinema is the best in India right now.
I'm not saying other industries don't make good movies.Tamil cinema has made some fantastic entertaining films. Malayalam cinema has its own strengths and produces excellent films.Kannada cinema has also made some very good movies.Every industry has its own style.
But if you ask me which Indian industry consistently understands pure theatrical entertainment,my answer is Tollywood.
What I appreciate most about Telugu cinema is that they don't seem embarrassed about making a movie simply to entertain people.They understand that people have jobs,stress,family problems,financial pressures and all kinds of things going on in their lives.People simply want to sit in a theatre and enjoy themselves.Give me a good hero introduction,great music,comedy,action,beautiful visuals,strong villain,family sentiment,a few goosebumps moments and a satisfying climax—I am happy.
I don't need every movie to be realistic.
I don't need every movie to teach me something.
I just want to have fun.
For me, the story of Telugu cinema becoming popular outside Andhra and Telangana didn't start with Baahubali.
Long before Baahubali, Telugu movies were reaching Hindi-speaking audiences through dubbed versions on television and YouTube and two names that immediately come to my mind are Brahmanandam and Allu Arjun.
I remember a time when people who had never watched a Telugu theatrical movie were happily watching dubbed Telugu films simply because they were entertaining.That audience didn't necessarily care about which industry the movie came from.They trolled it initially but started loving them.They just wanted a good movie and Telugu cinema gave them that.
Today, everybody talks about pan-India cinema.But I think Tollywood deserves enormous credit for showing that an Indian film doesn't have to be made primarily in Hindi to become a nationwide blockbuster.
I don't think Telugu cinema should change just because other people criticize it.
Infact there should also be more room for pure commercial entertainment.
So, for me, Telugu cinema is number one.
I'm not saying every Telugu movie is great.Obviously there are bad Telugu movies too.I'm also not saying Tamil, Malayalam or Kannada cinema doesn't make great films.They absolutely do.I'm simply talking about my personal preference.
And honestly, I hope Telugu filmmakers continue exactly in this direction—making big,ambitious, entertaining movies that can be enjoyed not only in Telugu-speaking states, but across India and eventually across the world.