Monday, July 20, 2026

Rank top 10 movies of Maniratnam according to you?

 Here is my list as of 16th July 2026. I am pretty sure no 2 would shock many.

Also one more movie which many would assume no 1 is not even in top 5

Lets get started -

10. Geethanjali

I had only one slot for rom coms - Ok Kanmani , Alai Paiuthey , Mouna Raagam, Anu Pallavi. Probably because of telugu connection and killer album from Illayaraja and crazy concept of two terminally ill patients falling in love took me by surprise.

9. Guru

I seriously believe this is last best work of Mani Ratnam. He should have retired aftwr this .

8.Roja

This movie will be remembered for stellar AR Rahman music and Pan India success.

Back in those days Tamil movies were all about national integration unlike today filled with oppression themes would love to see those days back.

7. Bombay

Another gem where again he talks about sensitive riots but best scene has to be Ralapalli and kid who questions about god and riots.

Couldn't get in Tamil anywhere but would love to have it.

6. Agni Natchitram

Mani explores family dynamics in a neat and different way. Though some scenes are lifted from god father. Not a big fan of janakaraj comedy track but I loved lead actor performance and once again stellar album from Illayaraja.

One memorable scene is train scene. May be this movie may not even make it to top 10 of many but for some reason I like how he explored human relationship of foster.

5. Nayagan

Well it finally makes it to my list at no 5. Nayagan betrayed me to tilt what I thought was best movie anyone can make until i discovered god father 1 and 2. Then realise how much Vito corleone inspired Vel Naicker.

Most heartbreaking scene is not wife death scene but above scene where his daughter doesn't even allow him to see his grand daughter.

4. Kannathil Muthamittal

Yes deeply moves me . Its about war sacrifices for identity. Fight for land , fight for identity and mainly consequences of these conflicts.

Though I am not a fan of language before nation but I have my heart bleed for Eelam Tamils until I met some selfish pricks especially gen z who doesn't even care about Eelam or Tamilians in TN who are so concerned about Eelam.

3. Thalapathy

And yes Thalapathy makes it to into my list at number 3 position. It has everything in it eternal tale of Duryodhana and Karna friendship. Kunti karna story. I would have loved for original climax of Rajini and Mamoothy dying but its okay.

2. Thiruda Thiruda

There are few movies which inspired me persinally to be filmmaker and this movie is one.

ARR music and bgms. Maniratnam handling of heist genre wow just wow and yeah PC Sreeram lens.

And drums rolls.

No points for guessing.

  1. Iruvar

Violins ARR bgm. Mohanlal eternalise MGR for us so does Prakash Raj. It is an excellent take. Way it starts , way it ends.