Jarasandha has inherited the empire by birth and that king’s influence extends everywhere. O king! O great king! The powerful Shishupala has gone to him like a disciple and has become his general. Vakra, the immensely strong king of Karusha, who fights with the powers of maya, and many other immensely valorous and great- souled ones, are also under his protection. The illustrious Hamsa and Dibhaka are also with the immensely valorous Jarasandha.
Likewise, the evil king of the Chedis, whom I did not kill earlier, has also gone over to Jarasandha. He who is known in the world as the supreme being and out of delusion, always bears my signs. There is also a king powerful in Vanga, Pundra and Kirata, known as Vasudeva of Pundra. O great king! There is also the powerful Bhishmaka Chaturyu of Bhoja, a friend of Indra’s and a slayer of enemies. Through his learning and strength, he has conquered Pandya and Krathakaishika. The valorous Ahriti is his brother and is like Jamadagni Rama in battle. They also serve the king of Magadha.
~ Mahabharata, Sabha Parva, Mantra Parva, Chapter 238(13)
The ones mentioned over here were Shishupala who is the king of Chedi, Dantavakra who is the king of Karusha, Poundraka Vasudeva, Bhishmaka who is Rukmini’s father and Ahriti who is the brother of Bhishmaka are the main allies of Jarasandha and he had many others under his wing. And Shurasena was on a plain area without any natural barriers so that they can have some advantage like Magadha which was between hills
‘Vasudeva said, “O Partha! This is the great and beautiful city of Magadha. It is rich in cattle and is always full of water. It is prosperous and has no disease and has many splendid mansions. O tata! There are five large mountains, the extensive Vaihara, Varaha, Vrishabha, Rishigiri and the beautiful Chaitya. These five giant mountain peaks are covered with trees with cool shade and though separate, seem to collectively protect Girivraja.
~ Mahabharata, Sabha Parva, Jarasandha-Vadha Parva, Chapter 244(19)
So to protect themselves from those constant attacks and also to live in an area with natural barriers and prevent these attacks altogether, they shifted to Dwaraka. Krishna could’ve killed Jarasandha had he desired but he didn’t do so as Bhima was destined to kill him
It had been destined that Jarasandha would be killed by the valorous Bhima. Madhusudana, the younger brother of Haladhara, foremost among those who have controlled themselves, wished to show respect to Brahma and did not wish to kill him himself.
~ Mahabharata, Sabha Parva, Jarasandha-Vadha Parva, Chapter 245(20)
Also he can do anything he wishes, but since he was in a human form he behaves like one. So this fleeing of Yadavas must not be seen in a wrong way and incompetence.
In a desire to ensure the welfare of subjects, I enter various wombs. O descendant of the Bhrigu lineage! When I am born in a divine womb, there is no doubt that I follow all the acts followed by the gods. O descendant of the Bhrigu lineage! O Bhargava! In that way, when I am born in the womb of a gandharva, I then make all the efforts that are made by gandharvas. When I am in the womb of a serpent, I then behave like a serpent. When I am born in the wombs of yakshas and rakshasas, I then follow their kinds of conduct. Since I am now a human, I beseeched them piteously.
~ Mahabharata, Ashwamedha Parva, Chapter 1888(53)
So even fleeing, acting as messenger, doing poilitics etc are also his lilas as he was in a human form
This is merely the divine play of the Lord of the Universe acting in accordance with human nature, when He hurls weapons of various forms against His enemies. For Him who creates and destroys the entire universe merely by His will, what need is there for such elaborate effort to annihilate the side of His enemies? Even so, He follows the duties and conduct suitable for human beings; He makes with those who are powerful and engages in battle with those who are weaker. Demonstrating conciliation (Sama), giving gifts (Dana), causing dissension (Bheda), inflicting punishment (Danda), and even fleeing at times in this manner, as He follows the actions and behaviors of embodied human beings, the divine play of the Lord of the Universe proceeds entirely according to His own free will.
~ Vishnu Purana, Amsha 5, Chapter 22
|| Namō Veṅkaṭeśāya || 🛞 U 🐚